Saturday, June 16, 2012

E.L.F. Brightening Eye Colors: Butternut, Punk Funk, and Ocean Dreams

Hellooooo!!

SO.. I recently purchased 15(I KNOW I'm crazy!!) of the E.L.F. Brightening Eye colors and I decided to do a review on each of them (3 at a time) because I had trouble finding reviews or swatches of them for myself. So in order to make it a quick and easy process, I'll show you the quad, the swatches, and tell you which colors are the best and worst .. onto the review

Butternut:




Best color(s): The 4th cooper-ish color is pretty and the best color from this quad.
Worst color(s): The First three are mute to me and require a lot of work to get any color payoff.
Would I repurchase/recommend: No, for me this quad did very little, it was not as pigmented as I expected and the colors(outside of the fourth) did not show up true to color for me.

Punk Funk:


Best color(s):The last three are beautiful, a bit soft, but very nice colors.
Worst color(s): The first one is a bit chalky and takes a bit of work.
Would I repurchase/recommend: Yes, 3/4 of the colors are wonderful and very useful for a variety of different looks.

Ocean Dreams:


Best color(s): The 2nd and 3rd colors because they are very pigmented and glide on nicely.
Worst color(s): The first and the last because the first was a bit chalky and the glitter gave a bit of fall out and the last color, although it is one of my favorites because it is such a soft color, looks a bit deeper  and more purple in the pan.
Would I repurchase/recommend: Yes, all of the colors show up without too much effort, although the shadows seem a little soft.

Best Quad out of the three: It's almost a tie between punk funk and ocean dreams but if I were to choose one to repurchase it would be ocean dreams, because for me all of the colors had enough pigmentation to show up and they all could be used with ease. The colors also seemed more wearable (to work, school, and a night out).
Worst Quad out of the three: Butternut because of the lack of pigmentation and for me the colors that did manage to show up seemed dull.

Overall, I have noticed that the lighter colors that you would use to highlight are more chalky and less pigmented than the other colors. A few of the colors, specifically the ones that you would expect the most pigmentation from are very soft and although the color shows up nicely, you need to use a soft brush and a light hand to avoid excessive fallout. The eyeshadows surprised me because they stay on all day and don't crease(when using a primer first of course)! In regards to the packaging, I find it to be very nice for the price ($1). It's sturdy and comes with a little applicator and small mirror(which is too small to actually use regularly, but it is there... if you absolutely have nothing else!). One of the things that I initially thought was going to be a problem for me was the size of the eyeshadows, but when I thought about it I rarely use an eyeshadow often enough to finish it, so I know I won't need that much, so these will probably last me forever, and if they start to expire it won't kill my bank to repurchase the ones I like.

Til' next time
XOXO,
Becca

No comments:

Post a Comment